Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thoughts Inspired by the Movie Sex and the City


“Being True to Yourself”

I have been a true fan of Sex and the City from the very beginning. I was watching Sex and the City when no one even knew it was cool.

The one thing that I loved about Sex and the City is that it definitely had “water cooler” topics. Issues between men and women always make for colorful conversation.

A few things have been on my mind since the opening weekend of Sex and the City the movie. And one of those things involved Samantha’s character played by Kim Cattrall.

Even though we loved that Samantha ended up with Jared in the series finale her giving monogamy and love a chance. I always knew it wasn’t for her. Don’t get me wrong I cried when Jared was still there after she slept with her ex Richard. Stood by her side through the diagnosis of cancer, treatments, and shaved his head to show support.

It was all very fairytale -ish and unrealistic. Samantha enjoyed being single, adored men and loved sex even more. I just didn’t buy it.

I know the feeling all too well of losing yourself inside of a relationship. And that is exactly what Samantha did.

Her life was consumed by Jared. She worked for him, worked with him, protected him and fought for him and changed for him.

Suddenly, you no longer saw Samantha.

I applaud Samantha for remaining monogamous in her relationship. Even though as we seen in the film that it was unquestionably difficult at times.

So my question is if you have to frequently struggle to be something you’re not should you do it?

That’s when I started thinking about being true to you. I would respect someone more it they said they could not be monogamous and left the ball in your court. Than a person who swore they could only to slip up every now and again.

So be true to who you really are. Don’t bring people into relationships without knowing who you are. Because all you end up doing is causing casualties along the way.

I was relieved when Samantha ended her relationship with Jared. It’s easy to be complacent in a relationship that you know isn’t working. However, it’s extremely brave to know what you have to do and follow through.

Sex and the City brought up some other thought provoking topics worth discussing. Look for them in future articles.

If you like this article you may also enjoy:

0 comments: