Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Down Home with the Neely’s “Get Yo man chicken”



My sisters and I started a cooking club; it’s one of the worst organized clubs I’ve ever belonged to. We don’t meet regularly and we often bail out at the last minute. But it’s our cooking club nonetheless.

The concept behind the club is to prepare meals we have never made or tasted before. We can get recipes from magazines, cookbooks, friends or even television.

So one of my sisters had watched an episode of Down Home with the Neely’s. And one of the dishes featured was, “Get Yo man chicken.”

My sister explained to us how the Neely’s raved about this dish. With all the moaning and groaning they did she thought this was a dish we should definitely try.

Now with this particular sister she does a little research first. She logged onto the Food Network website and began her search.

She likes to peruse the recipe and read the reviews given by other viewers that have prepared the meal themselves.

The reviews were stellar so “Get your man chicken” was going to be featured at our next meal.


We decided to meet on a Saturday evening to sample this savoir faire.

I’m sorry to say to The Neely’s “Get Yo man chicken” was a total miss.

Listen in on a few responses from that evening:
“Are you sure you followed the recipe?”
“Yes.”

“Did you leave out any ingredients?”
“No.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes I’m sure.”

“So how do you like it?”
“It’s um edible?”

“Now, what man are you supposed to get with this chicken?”
“I think this is, “Man get away from me chicken.”

And it went on and on but we laughed and had a wonderful time.

We watched a movie, drank and talked till we couldn’t talk anymore.

Needless to say, thumbs way down to the Neely’s “Get Yo man chicken.”

I have watched their show and thought that their food would be quite tasty.

I definitely give a thumbs way up to spending quality time with my sisters.

Until Next Time Bon Apétit!

0 comments: