Saturday, November 1, 2008

Track Star Marion Jones Post Prison Interview with Oprah Winfrey


As I sat down to watch the interview of former track star Marion Jones on the Oprah Winfrey Show I wanted to hear her side of the story.

I was shocked along with the rest of the country when Marion Jones admitted that she had lied to federal agents and she would be going to prison for the next six months.

I was on the Marion Jones bandwagon. I thought she was a young, beautiful, talented athlete that would take the world by storm. And she did. The last time a track athlete had mesmerized me it was when Flo Jo, Florence Griffith Joyner was running. And it was like Marion Jones was the second coming. I watched her track meets, the Olympics, and read countless articles about her. Marion Jones was a star.

So as I watched her interview with Oprah Winfrey I had an open mind. I wanted to believe her explanation of the events that took place. Unfortunately, I did not.

I don’t believe that Marion Jones didn’t know what she was taking. It just doesn’t make sense. And that’s me wording it nicely. Who puts a substance in their mouth without knowing what it is?

If a friend offered me a chocolate chip cookie, before I take it I have some questions. Is it store bought or homemade? Who makes this cookie Keebler or Nabisco? You see where I’m going with this. So just imagine if someone offered me some kind of supplement? I’ll have to send it to the lab at the FBI.

Maybe she didn’t want to know. Another thing that bothered me about the interview is that Oprah did not broach the subject of the check fraud scam. I’m assuming that was a stipulation before Marion Jones granted the interview. But that bit of key information goes to Marion Jones character. If she were part of a check fraud scam is it really that far fetched to believe that she would take an illegal substance?

Her explanations bordered on ridiculous. After someone slips me a performance enhancing drug that could ruin my career, jeopardize my health etc... I don’t say anything to them and I continue to work with them. Are you mad?

It’s commendable that now Marion Jones wants to reach out and help the youth. And maybe they could learn from her mistakes. But who are you helping if those you would like to lead don’t fully trust you?

I do believe that Marion regrets what happened and that she is truly sorry. But I can’t empathize with someone I feel is not being totally truthful. There still is deceit in that.

However, I do wish her the best and maybe something good can come out of all of this.
If you like this article you may also like:
Rapper Da Brat Was Sentenced to Three Years in Prison

0 comments: