Monday, March 24, 2008

Admit It Jill Scott Stole the Movie

Jill Scott gave a tender poignant performance as an overweight woman struggling to hold her marriage together in Tyler Perry’s “Why did I get Married?”

I was genuinely touched by her character. She embraced the character head on unafraid to expose herself in scenes where being a full-figured woman could have certainly hit home for Ms. Scott.

Tyler Perry has been quoted giving praise to Janet Jackson for her performance. Whereas I found it difficult at times to watch her on the screen. The most notable scene that comes to mind is when her character breaks down in front of her husband concerning the car seat incident involving their child. I was literally horrified as I sat through it. You know that gut feeling you get when you feel embarrassed for someone. I glanced over at my daughter and we both cringed in unison.

I understand that getting a Mega star like Ms. Jackson to appear in one of his films must have been a dream for Mr. Perry. However, the casting of Jill Scott was the true success for this film. I sincerely hope that casting agents, directors or whomever are ringing Ms. Scott’s phone off the hook.

0 comments: