Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gas Gas Everywhere But Not A Drop to Pump


The gas crisis is hitting home for me. As I rode around today I witnessed two near car accidents because of long gas lines and the frustration of drivers. People were panicking and you could see the fear in their eyes.

I was perplexed because there was more traffic than usual today. It’s because all of us idiots were out there looking for gas.

While I was riding around like the other gas “zombies” out there I began to wonder about “What if” situations?

I thought, What if a police officer tried to pull me over while I was on my way home and I only had enough gas to go straight home and no where else. What would I do?

I’ll tell you what I would do. I would let that police officer follow me home with their blue lights flashing and their sirens blaring. After having called for back up there’s at least five squad cars following me. Remember O.J? All while a police helicopter hovers in the sky.

It wouldn’t bother me if after I parked my car in the driveway, with their weapons drawn they order me out of my car. Having tackled me onto my front lawn, they put my hands behind my back and slapped those plastic handcuffs on me. All of my neighbors are watching on their front lawns. And my children would be peeping at mommy through the blinds.

As the officers begin to haul me away one of them would ask, “Ma’am why didn’t you just pull over?”

And my reply would be, “With gas prices as high as it is. And now you can’t find any. I couldn’t afford to pull over. You know how you police officers take all day writing tickets. I could have run out of gas waiting on you. And the last thing I needed was to have my car stranded on the side of the road because I couldn’t pay for a tow truck that might charge me double because of the gas shortage.

You know officer I think I’ve mad the right decision. Gas sure can make you do some crazy things. I just hope we make it to the jailhouse before my mother sees me on the news.”

“And why is that ma’am?”

“Because she’s going to kick my ass for not outrunning you.”




0 comments: