Saturday, April 26, 2008

Are Black Men Expendable in This Country?

It is sad that in this country a black man must walk down the street practically naked in order to be safe from the people we pay to protect and serve us.
Public service announcements will soon read as this:
Attention All Black Males!

Please remove anything shiny from your person. Leave all cell phones, blackberries and keys at home. Keep your mouth shut; don’t even move your lips. Make no sudden movements, please. Or this may be construed as things that would make an NYC police officer fear for his life. If you don’t adhere to these precautions NYC police officers will aim and shoot. Not once, not twice but possibly fifty times or more. These officers will then appear before a judge and be acquitted of all charges. This concludes our public service announcement
Fifty bullets were fired. That’s right fifty bullets.
I shook my head back and forth when I heard the guilty verdict. But what was really disturbing was the fact that I wasn’t surprised by the verdict. My first thoughts were, ‘Are black men expendable in this country?’
But why wasn’t my first reaction outrage? It’s because unfortunately in this country we have been desensitized to verdicts such as these.
My heart cried out for all the men in my life; my fiancé, my brothers, nephews, cousins and extended family. But it also cried out for Sean Bell and his family.
Until we see white faces or hear names like John Smith, Jake Hall or Wyatt Long will we see a cry of outrage in this country.
Clearly, it is evident that policeman are afraid of black faces.
I understand what dangers policeman face everyday. I’ve lived in neighborhoods where I’ve had to watch my back as I’ve walked home from work some nights. I’ve carried paring knives in my purse for protection. I’ve had keys balled in my hand ready to strict if need be. I’ve had friends and family robbed, harassed and guns put to their heads.
But what is disheartening is where do we turn? It’s possible to be a victim of a crime any day of the week. And what’s more shocking is my friendly neighborhood policeman can take my life just as easily.
Sadly, I’d rather plead with a criminal to take all my money and my jewelry and spare my life. Than to say one wrong word or make one sudden movement in front of an police officer for fear I might be gunned down where I stand.
I think the Assistant District Attorney Charles A. Testagrossa summed it up nicely by saying, “We ask police to risk their lives to protect ours. Not to risk our lives to protect their own.”

0 comments: